September 08, 2014

Getting to Know You Blog Hop

Hello everyone!  About a week ago I was tagged by a blogger friend, Sandie of London Days, to participate in this Getting to Know You Blog Hop that's been making the rounds here in Bloggerville.  There are some questions I need to answer so you all can get to know me better.  I was flattered that she chose to tag me.  :-). Of course I said yes!  Who am I to stand in the way of a blog hop?  But for those who don't want to read a whole lot of stuff and just want to see a card, I've got one to share too.  I'll get that over with first so here it is...


I stamped my larger pumpkin first then using a mask I created previously I stamped the smaller pumpkin to look like it was behind the larger one.  The set I'm using for this card is by Lawn Fawn.  I stamped my leaves and then my curly vine.  Using my Spectrum Noir markers I coloured my images and created a shadow to ground them.  After I used glossy accents to give them shine and dimension though it's hard to see in the photo.  I stamped the sentiment underneath.  I matted the image panel with kraft cardstock that I had torn and inked the edges previously.  I attached this to my white card base with foam dots.

I'm linking up to the Curtain Call who has a lovely inspiration photo.  When I saw it I thought of autumn and then pumpkins.


I'm also linking up to STAMPlorations monthly challenge which for September is stamps and markers.  Going to link up to The Paper Players as well, where the theme is "happy fall y'all!".

Now for the "Getting to Know You" questions...

1.  What creative projects are you currently working on?

Well, I'm currently working on projects for the recent submissions call that Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking magazine has out.  I'm often working on submissions for this magazine.  It's my favourite and I never get tired of seeing one of my cards published.  So far, I've had 5 projects published.  Four are out and you can see my projects on my Publications tab but one is still not released yet. Anyway, I'm always working on cards for challenges and for family and friends as well.  I'll also be working on some Christmas crafts for gifts pretty soon.  :-)

2.  What inspires your designs?

I get inspiration from many sources.  Card magazines and Pinterest are two great resources for me.  I also draw inspiration from Fine Art as well.  I have a Fine Art background and it will always influence any of my creative endeavors.  Nature is a great source of inspiration too.  Could be the colours of a flower or the way the clouds look.  Sometimes, an idea just pops into my head and I don't know where it came from but it often stays with me until I can try it out.

3.  What method / process (if applicable) do you apply to each of your creative projects, and how long does each project take to complete? 

My process usually involves a sketchbook.  I use a sketchbook (make that several) to draw out my ideas so I won't forget and it helps me visualize the idea.  It's a great resource if I'm stumped for an idea too.  Sometimes the idea changes and evolves as I sketch and I'll get several possible designs.  Then I'll go to my desk and start creating.  Often things will change as I'm working or I'll get a better idea.  It's actually not too often that a card turns out exactly as I've envisioned it.  There's usually something that's been changed.  It can take ten minutes to a couple of hours to finish a project.  It all depends on the complexity of the design, the time constraint I may have or I'm simply having a difficult time with it.  :-).  Sometimes a card just doesn't want to turn out right!

4.  If you had to describe your 'signature' style, what would it be?

At one time I wouldn't have been able to answer this.  I was all over the place.  But now, I would say that my style is clean and simple (CAS).  Occasionally, I'll do something different.  Usually with Christmas cards.  It seems when I'm making them I don't mind using a different style.  :-).  It's good to break out of your comfort zone now and again.

5.  What 3 crafting products/tools could you not live without?

Oh my.  Narrowing down to three is hard!  But I guess I would have to go with the following:

1. My Fiskars Rotary paper trimmer.  I've had it for years and it's old but I love it.
2. Heavy weight white cardstock.  I go through tons of this paper!
3. My Spectrum Noir alcohol markers.  I may not colour every time I make a card but I adore my markers and use them every chance I get.  So much better than regular markers!

Well, I hope you've all enjoyed getting to know me a little better.  Now, it's my turn to tag a couple more people in this blog hop.  They will have their posts go live next Monday (the 15th).  Here are my chosen two:

Cornelia of Stempel Spass.  She is an amazing card artist and is on so many design teams I don't know how she does it!  I love her style and use of bright bold colours.  She's not afraid of thinking outside the box either.  You really need to go by a visit.

Pia of Pia's Creative World. I love her card making style and I've discovered that we have a similar way of dealing with not having a certain product that we need.  We make our own!  Kindred spirit I think!  :-)  She's one of my teammates over at Inkspirational and I've enjoyed getting to know her.  Now I'd like to know her even better!  I'd totally recommend you getting to know her too!

That's all for now!  Thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic day!

12 comments:

  1. first off your card is obviously CAS perfection-great masking and colouring and I adore the torn edges. What a great read and getting to know you better! I have never used a sketch book but I am pondering that idea now! 2 great tags and looking forward to next Monday when we can get to know them better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this and getting to know you better, Kim.
    It is such a satisfaction to think creatively and make up your own solutions instead of going off to the scrapshop and buy the easy way out. Kindred spirits = thumbs up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pumpkins are adorable! Love how you coloured them too. Thanks for joining us at The Curtain Call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely CAS card! Terrific idea to mask the pumpkins and I too love the torn look of the matting. So glad you shared your creation at The Paper Players.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim, great to read about you - so interesting that you have a fine arts background - no wonder your cards always turn out so well! Love that pumpkin card with those torn paper edges - so unique! Thanks for choosing me - I truly feel honored!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sweet lil pumpkins too...they are colored so well! I also like the texture you added by tearing and inking the background piece. Thanks for playing along at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice crisp image against the white! Thanks for joining in at STAMPlorations~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these little pumpkins! They are so cute! You've colored and masked them wonderfully too, Kim. Thanks for playing along with us week at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet Fall card Kim. Love the coloring on those pumpkins. Thank you for playing along with us at the Curtain Call Inspiration Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your card- I love how you coloured your pumpkins- such a clean card but so effective with great use of colour. Thanks for playing along with STAMPlorations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little pumpkins are absolutely adorable! A marvelous showcase of your cas style, wonderful masking and fabulous colouring! So sweet! Your post: engaging, entertaining and informative! Loved learning more about you, especially the sketchbook section! I should take that up...maybe I'll become more organized (hahahahaha).
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, that is absolutely perfect coloring on those pumpkins - they just jump off the page. And the blue shadow is wonderful, as is the torn edges. And my heart loves all the white space! Fun getting to know you better too :) Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations this month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me your comments. I really appreciate them!